Dear HGN Newsletter reader,
New Leaf Sustainable Development and the Herefordshire Wildlife Trust partnership at Queenswood are opening one of our buildings on 7th August as a part time Sustainable Future Centre (SFC) to provide information to our visitors about the climate and ecological crises and wider environmental issues. We would really like to be able to talk to people, some of whom might be new to considering how to live more sustainably, as many people are saying that they are concerned but confused about what they can do.
Would you be able to spare one or two ½ days a month (on Saturdays) to take positive action and be a very much appreciated part of this project?
We are looking to grow our team of SFC volunteers who will be in direct contact with visitors to the centre, directing people around the exhibits if needed and engaging in conversation about the issues / solutions being showcased.
- Welcoming visitors to the centre and providing information about the current exhibition / films / workshops being shown.
- Engaging visitors in conversation around the issues being highlighted.
- Signposting visitors to local groups / organisations / projects where appropriate.
- Helping out at open days and special events
- A friendly, welcoming person who likes talking to others.
- An enthusiasm for environmental and social issues and the ability to engage in conversation about these without being judgemental.
- The ability to work as part of a team of volunteers and staff working towards the same aim
Hours: ½ or 1 day per week, or on a rota as part of a team (the SFC will be open on Saturdays from 7th August onwards from 10.30am to 3.30pm) ½ days = 10am to 1pm/1pm to 4pm
Training: Visitor interaction training by Kate Gathercole (Thus 29th July) and training on sustainability issues /signposting by Wendy Ogden (3rd Aug).
Thanks for reading and hoping to hear from you.
New Leaf Associate and Queenswood and Bodenham Lake Sustainability Lead