Thank you Gareth and Patrick. A full house and a full workshop last night on how we can get pension funds to stop investing in fossil fuels.
They were talking about the UK parliament pension fund – but so many of the ideas could be used for other lobbying, working with councillors and much more.
Some tough questions, ranging from “if they don’t invest, surely someone else will…” to how to change the mind of someone that’s completely immovable! All questions answered and a load of positive actions in amongst the reality.
Here is a summary – if you’d like to do more please get in touch with Rebecca email@example.com. We’ll have an interactive poll on this topic at River Carnival (need some pollsters) and there was real interest in working with sympathetic councillors on this issue. Get in touch!
- Make contact with your MP – simple tool on the Divest Parliament website
- Plenty of advice from other network members with experience of visiting our MPs if you’d like to arrange a visit (email if you’d like to be connected)
- We can create our own pledge to ask councillors to sign – this will build support towards a campaign with MPs
- Good advice from Councillor Jenny Bartlett – every public council meeting has space for questions, we can ask “How much of the Herefordshire pension fund is invested in fossil fuels?” and bring the issue higher up the agenda
- Herefordshire shares its pension fund with Worcestershire, so using the links we have within this network would be a great start
- A poll at River Carnival – “Do you know that your MP’s pension is linked to fossil fuels? Do you want that to stop?”
- More ideas and resources at the Fossil Free website and email firstname.lastname@example.org to be put in touch with Gareth or Patrick – they are keen to offer support!
- Share this post on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter and let’s get more people talking about ditching fossil fuel investments.